In a world that is increasingly moving faster and faster, stress and anxiety are unfortunately a daily struggle for many people. We’re all familiar with the idea of ‘comfort food’ but the truth is that refined, sugary and fatty foods may actually make you feel worse when you are already feeling low. Instead, try munching on some of these foods that have been proven to calm anxiety.
1. Blueberries – rich source of antioxidants and Vitamin C that reduces the stress hormone cortisol
2. Spinach – high in magnesium, which helps you to feel calmer
3. Turkey – contains tryptophan, an amino acid that prompts your brain to release serotonin – a chemical that makes you feel good, has a calming affect and even gets you ready to sleep.
4. Probiotics – Recent studies have shown that there is a strong link between probiotics and the decrease of social anxiety. Foods such as pickles and sauerkraut are a great way to reduce anxiety.
5. Beef – Foods that are rich in zinc have proven abilities to lower anxiety e.g. Beef, cashews, liver and egg yolks